Re: M2 NVME support

From: Juraj Lutter <otis_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 08:25:41 UTC

> On 13 Apr 2023, at 13:25, egoitz@ramattack.net wrote:
>
> Hi!,
>
> We are in the process of buying new hardware for use with FreeBSD and ZFS. We are planning whether to buy M2 NVME disks or just SATA SSD disks (probably Samsung PM* ones). How is you experience with them?. Do you recommend one over the another?. Is perhaps better support from some of them from a specificic version to newer?. Or do they perhaps work better with some specific disk controller?.

My $0.02: We use DELL r740xd with NVMe and FreeBSD 13.0-STABLE (with some NFS patches from Rick Macklem, that are
now included in releng/13) and ZFS.

NVMe disks are of Dell (type Dell Express Flash PM1725b 1.6TB SFF 1.2.2).

So far we haven’d experienced any issues with them, neither with the server as such.
The only change from the “stock” state of the HW was that we replaced Broadcom bnxt(4) NIC with Intel ix(4) NIC.

The server provides NFS shares for OpenStack compute nodes.

otis

—
Juraj Lutter
otis@FreeBSD.org