Re: openbsd disklabels incompatible?

From: Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 20:19:19 UTC
On 09/09/22 21:55, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> GEOM: zvol/zroot/iscsi1p1: invalid disklabel
>> GEOM: gpt/OpenBSD%20Area: invalid disklabel.
>>
>> Is this expected? It doesn't seem to matter for iscsi, but it might
>> bite someone?
> Just ignore - except you will like to mount it's filesystem from FreeBSD
> than you will not be able easily. If at all - i don't know if OpenBSD
> UFS is compatible with FreeBSD

Reminds me of a friend who, in 90s, on a Sun sparcstation 5, installed
NetBSD (1.2.something I think) and mounted Solaris UFS on NetBSD...The
booted Solaris and found all the permissions messed up badly, with the
system refusing to boot multiuser.

At the time he said something about UFS on Solaris being derived from
BSD UFS and fundamentally the same thing, so they should be compatible.
Guess he was wrong.

The morale is: if in doubt don't cross mount, nothing will warn you of
possible breakage.

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>