Re: is this FreeBSD problem or HP switch

From: Jason Bacon <bacon4000_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 00:11:06 UTC
On 10/13/22 17:48, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> i have HP-2530-24G switch in home and 3 VLANs.
> there was no traffic on 2 of them, one vlan have full bandwitch traffic
> from computer A to computer B - at 1000Mbit/s
> At this time ping from computer C to computer A (computer C have
> 100Mbit/s card) was random between 1 and 1000ms.
>
> Just limiting artifically speed to 950Mbit/s solved the problem.
>
> Is this because switch behaves that way or can it be a FreeBSD problem
> (all computers runs FreeBSD)

I saw an issue some years ago where one of my FreeBSD servers was
overwhelming a Cisco switch while pushing files out to HTCondor nodes,
causing it to drop packets.  Our networks guru confirmed the problem by
monitoring the switch.  Since no handshaking was possible, I worked
around it by throttling the interface on the FreeBSD box, using ipfw if
I recall correctly.

--
Life is a game.  Play hard.  Play fair.  Have fun.