Re: is this FreeBSD problem or HP switch

From: Mark Saad <nonesuch_at_longcount.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 23:02:00 UTC
Wojciech
   There could be a lot going on here. I have used HP-2530's on HP DL360's
running FreeBSD without many problems.
They are store and forward switches , so they do buffer packets before
sending them along. So it could be dropping some of them
but that should be easy to discover by looking at the switch's interface
and checking how many errors you have on each port .
However the issue you describe is probably not a FreeBSD problem or Switch
problem, but more of a how busy your computer A is.
When you start to saturate a network card for either packets per second or
bits per second the OS will have to deal with it by delaying
 the response of other traffic by one way or another. Imagine your computer
A is running a web server and you are hammering it with
1Gb/s of traffic. The CPU on that server will also become busy handling the
traffic and running the webserver. When you then send
 that same computer ICMP, another TCP session , UDP traffic etc. The
Network card will be unable to process the traffic , as it's out
of resources, or it could accept the traffic in and the cpu may not idle
enough to pick the packets off the card and process them in a
in a timely manner.

I hope that helps.

--
mark saad | nonesuch@longcount.org