Re: curtain: WIP sandboxing mechanism with pledge()/unveil() support

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 08:34:08 UTC
Hi,

Does pledge actually require kernel support?  I'd have thought that it
could be implemented on top of Capsicum as a purely userland abstraction
(more easily with libc help, but even with an LD_PRELOADed library along
the lines of libpreopen).  In Verona, we're able to use Capsicum to run
unmodified libraries in a sandbox, for example, including handling raw
system calls:

https://github.com/microsoft/verona/tree/master/experiments/process_sandbox

It would be good to understand why this needs more kernel attack surface.

David