Re: Reasons for keeping sc(4) and libvgl ?

From: Chris <bsd-lists_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 15:04:05 UTC
On 2022-06-21 19:47, Emmanuel Vadot wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 13:51:17 -0700
> Chris <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com> wrote:

>> > Thanks for heads up. Unfortunately, it will be a great loss. The waste of
>> > power
>> > resources might increase since vt(4) still doesn't support VESA Display
>> > Power
>> > Management Signaling which some of the servers are heavily relying on. It's
>> > a step
>> > backward in terms of green computing and amidst the power crisis, we are
>> > heading
>> > in Europe.
>> My only objection is that I can NOT get textmode or very stable X on any of
>> the NVIDIA
>> cards I use unless I build against sc. Does sc(4) use so much space that
>> current kernels
>> become too big with it's presence? I vote against it's removal.
>>
>> Chris
>
>  I'm sure that other people uses nvidia cards with vt(4),
I'm *know* they do. I've assisted others by responding to threads on the
mailing lists, pr(1)'s && the FreeBSD forums, in fact I've also talked with
Toomas on the OpenIndiana mailing lists regarding this on OI. Not a huge
deal.
But another obstacle/hurdle in order to obtain reasonable graphics.
> did you opened a PR about this ?
See above.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Chris