Sanity check on a change to module load order

From: Harris Snyder <harris.snyder_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 02:09:49 UTC
Hello,

I've been trying to get the iSCSI boot module to work ("isboot" in the
ports collection) with a PCIe Mellanox NIC, and I noticed that isboot
is declared as part of the SI_SUB_PROTO_END subsystem, whereas the
mellanox driver module is SI_SUB_ROOT_CONF-2 (via a linux kpi
#define), which comes later. So the iSCSI boot failed, because it
couldn't find the Mellanox NIC as the driver wasn''t loaded yet. I am
brand new to the FreeBSD kernel, but I was going to propose that the
port maintainer simply move isboot down to SI_SUB_ROOT_CONF-1. Is this
a bad idea for some reason that I'm not aware of? I tried the proposed
modification on my own system. iSCSI boot is still failing, but for
what I think is an unrelated reason. Even if I do get it working, are
there any obvious undesirable side effects that I'm simply not aware
of?

Thanks,
Harris Snyder