Re: RFD: MFC hold time guidelines

From: Kristof Provost <kp_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 07:42:48 UTC
On 16 Jun 2022, at 18:51, Pau Amma wrote:
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D35405 brought to light the lack of documented MFC hold time guidelines for src (only repo that uses that) beyond: barring critical fixes authorized by release engineering or the security officer, 3 days is the minimum. I'd like to have general guidelines hashed out and added to the committer's guide. To get things started, here's what Ed Maste reported using:
>
> instant MFC: security or critical build fixes, or other critical changes, with coordination/approval of re@ or so@
> 3 days: straightforward bug fixes or minor improvements where there is a (presumed) very low probability of introducing a regression. e.g. typo fixes, man page updates
> 1 week: default timeout for most changes with low-medium presumed probability of introducing regressions e.g. adding to a driver's supported devices list, general bug fixes and new features
> 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 1 month: longer timeouts for changes with increasing likelihood of environment-dependent bugs or unique or rare corner cases e.g. major updates to contrib software, significant rework to kernel subsystems

My own approach is very similar to Ed’s.

The risk estimation is very much a gut feeling thing, and I sometime use longer timeouts because I know I won’t be available when the ‘normal’ timeout would hit. (That is, more risk implies a longer timeout, but a longer timeout might not be due to increased risk.)

Kristof