Re: Call for Foundation-supported Project Ideas

From: Stefan Blachmann <sblachmann_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 07:14:23 UTC
On 1/4/22, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
> Not without loading the xorg graphics stuff... graphics chips from the last
> 15 or 20 years have lots of chip specific state that only the graphics
> stuff knows about... IIRC, it only knows about it because it put the
> graphics into a known state... it's the main reason laptops stopped
> suspending in the early 2000s... it looks to be a lot of work for a
> relatively rare use case...

UEFI GOP seems to have the necessary functionalities
(https://wiki.osdev.org/GOP#Get_the_Current_Mode) so I guess the work
required would be limited (restore mode and redraw screen from
buffer).

With non-UEFI or old UGA UEFI implementations possibly one could use
the dual BIOS´ CSM part. Just call the CSM BIOS init to set up GPU and
the int 10h interface, and then set previously used mode+redraw.
BTW, doing that also could both enable vt(4) to change
modes/resolutions and using sc on UEFI computers.

But I think you are right, there are probably not too many users who
would make use of that.