ntp_init() looks like a nop

From: Sebastian Huber <sebastian.huber_at_embedded-brains.de>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 15:04:56 UTC
Hello,

I review currently the kern_ntptime.c module since I would like to use
it in RTEMS. I have a question to ntp_init():

/*
  * ntp_init() - initialize variables and structures
  *
  * This routine must be called after the kernel variables hz and tick
  * are set or changed and before the next tick interrupt. In this
  * particular implementation, these values are assumed set elsewhere in
  * the kernel. The design allows the clock frequency and tick interval
  * to be changed while the system is running. So, this routine should
  * probably be integrated with the code that does that.
  */
static void
ntp_init(void)
{

	/*
	 * The following variables are initialized only at startup. Only
	 * those structures not cleared by the compiler need to be
	 * initialized, and these only in the simulator. In the actual
	 * kernel, any nonzero values here will quickly evaporate.
	 */
	L_CLR(time_offset);
	L_CLR(time_freq);
#ifdef PPS_SYNC
	pps_tf[0].tv_sec = pps_tf[0].tv_nsec = 0;
	pps_tf[1].tv_sec = pps_tf[1].tv_nsec = 0;
	pps_tf[2].tv_sec = pps_tf[2].tv_nsec = 0;
	pps_fcount = 0;
	L_CLR(pps_freq);
#endif /* PPS_SYNC */
}

SYSINIT(ntpclocks, SI_SUB_CLOCKS, SI_ORDER_MIDDLE, ntp_init, NULL);

The ntp_init() function sets a couple of global variables to zero. These
variables should be in the .bss section. Are they not already cleared
during the kernel loading?

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER