Re: {* 05.00 *}Re: Desperate with 870 QVO and ZFS

From: Stefan Esser <se_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 10:05:42 UTC
Am 06.04.22 um 23:49 schrieb Stefan Esser:
> Am 06.04.22 um 18:34 schrieb egoitz@ramattack.net:
>
>>> The 870 QVO is specified for 370 full capacity
>>> writes, i.e. 370 TB for the 1 TB model. That's still a few hundred
>>> GB a day - but only if the write amplification stays in a reasonable
>>> range ...
>>>
>>> *Well yes... 2880TB in our case....not bad.. isn't it?*
>
> I assume that 2880 TB is your total storage capacity? That's not too bad, in
> fact. ;-)

I just noticed that this is not the extreme total size of a ZFS pool
(should have noticed this while answering late at night ...)

And no, a specified life-time of 2880 TB written is not much, it is
at the absolute lower end of currently available SSDs at 360 TB per
1 TB of capacity.

This is equivalent to 360 total capacity writes, but given the high
amount of write amplification that can be assumed to occur in your
use case, I'd heavily over-provision a system with such SSDs ...
(or rather: strictly avoid them in a non-consumer setting).