Re: Retiring WITHOUT_CXX

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 17:09:54 UTC
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 at 04:09, Rodney W. Grimes
> <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
> >
> > So is the feature model of FreeBSD becoming, oh it gets broken
> > cause it is not regularly tested, so lets remove that feature.
>
> I don't agree with that. We have a large and growing CI infrastructure
> to regularly test functionality and are continually adding to it over
> time. But it's important to test and maintain what is actually used
> and is useful. Disabling C++ support made sense when obrien@ added the
> original knob in 2000, but it makes less sense today when parts of
> FreeBSD are written in C++.

You can disagree with my assertion, but I shall continue to assert
that it *seems* as if rather than adding B O S to the CI such that
it is not only regularly tested, but continuously tested is the
correct path forward here.   Removing an option that seems to
break due to not beeing tested (your original assertion) is not
only false (I pointed out, and do know for a fact that Michael
Dexter runs BOS on a very regulary basis, infact near continously.)
and the wrong path forward.

Fix the broken stuff, stop letting stuff rot because you don't care
to work on it, or because it is not being "tested".