Re: Retiring WITHOUT_CXX

From: Eugene Grosbein <eugen_at_grosbein.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 14:38:02 UTC
26.11.2021 21:03, Ed Maste wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 at 04:09, Rodney W. Grimes
> <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
>>
>> So is the feature model of FreeBSD becoming, oh it gets broken
>> cause it is not regularly tested, so lets remove that feature.
>
> I don't agree with that. We have a large and growing CI infrastructure
> to regularly test functionality and are continually adding to it over
> time. But it's important to test and maintain what is actually used
> and is useful. Disabling C++ support made sense when obrien@ added the
> original knob in 2000, but it makes less sense today when parts of
> FreeBSD are written in C++.

It depends on what are those parts exactly. For example, I exclude devd (written in C++)
from my FreeBSD images because it does only harm for a router with fixed hardware
but ever-changing set of ngXXX interfaces being created/removed (PPPoE server with high load).

So I also build the image WITHOUT_CXX.