Re: Top posting (was: Call for Foundation-supported Project Ideas)

From: Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 22:21:28 UTC
On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 12:33 AM Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 24/11/2021 01:31, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> > Change policy about discouraging top posting and convert it to
> encouraging
> > top posting
>
> Please, don't.

As I said ,

(1) persons tracking messages continuously do not need to read the same
texts many times
(2) persons tracking messages continuously are forced to move the cursor at
the end of long messages . This is
    taking unnecessarily long times which is a waste of time and difficult
in cell phones
(3) if links to the previous messages are used , it is not important to
place of the current message
(4) I am a subscriber of many mailing lists . Most of them are using top
posting . FreeBSD convention is only an
    annoyance for persons continuously reading messages ( some may think in
a different way , obviously we will welcome
    their ideas ) . Bottom posting is a reward to the persons occasionally
reading the messages , a punishment
    to the persons continuously reading messages . This is not a fair
behavior toward the interested persons to
    FreeBSD issues
(5) My proposal is not only allowing  a change of policy , but including
links of the messages into messages , allowing use of
    these links and then changing message posting  policy .
    This does not make a significant change , because readers will be able
to see previous messages by only clicking its link when
    it is supplied by the neww message .

Therefore , insisting on historically used conventions which are not useful
in these days will not supply any benefit to the
FreeBSD other than lowering the number of interested users , causing not
participating in its components such as mailing lists .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk