Re: Call for Foundation-supported Project Ideas

From: Allan Jude <allanjude_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:44:55 UTC
On 11/23/2021 9:01 PM, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> On 23/11/2021 23:41, Joseph Mingrone wrote:
>> Hello FreeBSD community,
>>
>> The Foundation is seeking suggestions for new projects to support.  What
>> gaps in the Project are not being addressed by the broader community?
>>
>> You can read about past Foundation-supported projects at
>> https://freebsdfoundation.org/our-work/projects/ and the Foundation's
>> four main areas of focus in the 'Technology Roadmap' article at
>> https://freebsdfoundation.org/blog/technology-roadmap/.
>>
>> Right now we are gathering ideas.  We will send out a call for project
>> grant proposals soon.  If you prefer to send your project ideas directly
>> to the Foundation, we will be monitoring responses at
>> techteam@freebsdfoundation.org.
>
> I would really like to see Foundation sponsored project to bring SMBv2
> and SMBv3 support in to smbfs in base instead of deprecating smbfs / CIFS.
>
> FreeBSD is the only one widely used operating system lacking support for
> modern SMB / CIFS versions. SMB is still widely used in desktops and
> servers environment for mounting shares between different OSes.
>
> The latest thread from October with this discussion can be found in
> freebsd-current@ archive
> https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-current/2021-October/000893.html
> And continuing in November
> https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-current/2021-November/000915.html
>

> Kind regards
> Miroslav Lachman

Ed Maste and I looked at this a bit a few weeks ago, and it seems there
is a version in IllumOS that is based on the old smbfs that is in
FreeBSD, and it might be an "relatively" easy path forward. Just need
someone with the interest, time, and background knowledge to actually
work on it.

--
Allan Jude