Re: Call for Foundation-supported Project Ideas

From: Eugene Grosbein <eugen_at_grosbein.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 16:27:38 UTC
24.11.2021 5:41, Joseph Mingrone wrote:

> Hello FreeBSD community,
>
> The Foundation is seeking suggestions for new projects to support.  What
> gaps in the Project are not being addressed by the broader community?
>
> You can read about past Foundation-supported projects at
> https://freebsdfoundation.org/our-work/projects/ and the Foundation's
> four main areas of focus in the 'Technology Roadmap' article at
> https://freebsdfoundation.org/blog/technology-roadmap/.
>
> Right now we are gathering ideas.  We will send out a call for project
> grant proposals soon.  If you prefer to send your project ideas directly
> to the Foundation, we will be monitoring responses at
> techteam@freebsdfoundation.org.

FreeBSD admins had mostly positive experience and support from Quagga routing project in the past
to get dynamic routing done (RIP/OSPF/BGP etc.)

However, Quagga is not maintained for long time but replacements like FRRouting project
lack proper testing for FreeBSD to such an extent that "dead" Quagga still runs better
under FreeBSD than FRR in some configurations, f.e. FRR's ospfd is unusable under FreeBSD
for interfaces with aliases (carp etc.) because Linux implements aliases differently
and FRR developers run only Linux,
https://lists.frrouting.org/pipermail/frog/2021-July/001117.html
And this is just one of multiple issues with FRR under FreeBSD.

It would be nice for someone (TM) to work with FRR team or find some other dynamic routing solution,
collect problem reports, perform testing under FreeBSD, maybe develop and push needed changes to upstream
(or our ports collection if upstream in not responsive enough),
so FreeBSD would get at least same level of routing protocol support that it had with Quagga in the past.