Re: Call for Foundation-supported Project Ideas

From: Jason Bacon <bacon4000_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 01:22:29 UTC
Some of you may be aware that I maintain sysutils/desktop-installer to
facilitate quickly configuring a stable and secure desktop system.

https://github.com/outpaddling/desktop-installer

One hurdle I've not yet been able to conquer is automatic GPU
configuration.  The best I've been able to do so far is an interactive
script that requires some rather technical decisions from the users:

https://github.com/outpaddling/auto-admin/blob/master/Scripts/auto-gpu-setup

It would be really nice is we could replace this with a simple, maybe
even automated tool to configure a working Xorg setup on most common
hardware.  Wouldn't matter to me if it falls back on scfb or vesa in
many cases, as long as it's easy to use and produces a working desktop.

Bonus points for not requiring a reboot to properly activate the DRM module.

I wouldn't obsess about making it work on *all* hardware off-the-bat.  I
think it would be more fruitful to first develop a system that works
*really* well on the most common hardware.  Then we have a product that
people will want, which will help recruit the people we'll need to work
on expanding hardware support.

Most other aspects of desktop configuration are handled automatically or
with questions that an average user can more easily handle.

In case we don't have the specific manpower for this at the moment, some
other desktop related wish-list items are under the "Future" tab here:

http://acadix.biz/desktop-installer.php

Best,

	Jason

--
All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers ... Each one owes
infinitely more to the human race than to the particular country in