Re: Call for Foundation-supported Project Ideas

From: Stefan Blachmann <sblachmann_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 23:10:41 UTC
After suspend to RAM (ACPI sleep state S3) has been successfully
implemented as sponsored work by Kim Jung-uk, it would be logical to
add suspend to disk (ACPI sleep state S4, respective hibernate).

This would not only greatly enhance FreeBSD usability on laptops and desktops.
It also would enable FreeBSD to be usable for number/data processing
and server applications which are not designed for
interruptability/restartability/resumability.
Hibernation capability is not only useful for power cuts that last
longer than the UPS can bridge, but also for maintenance, hardware
repairs/replacements etc.