Re: MTA and other problems

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 10:19:28 UTC
On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 02:17:39AM -0700, Mark Millard via hackers wrote:

> On 2021-May-26, at 00:40, Philip Paeps <philip at freebsd.org> wrote:

> >> For me, the greater problem is that bookmarked messages are no longer found. For example:
> >>
> >> <https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-current/2021-March/078985.html>
> >> <https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-current/2021-May/079708.html>
> >
> > Thanks for reporting this.  We definitely intend to keep old links to mailing list archives working.  I'll try to figure out why this broke.
> >
> > Philip [also postmaster@]
>
> As an example of the known problems: Bapt reported in:
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-bugs/2021-May/101997.html
>
> that:
>
> QUOTE
> After analysis, freebsd-bugs mailing list archives have been edited manually
> multiple times in the last 18 years, making it impossible to regenerates in a
> reliable manner archive with compatible URL.
>
> This happenned too often to be able to be easily fixed.
> END QUOTE
>
> It is more than bookmarks that do not find anything. It is also
> URL's that now find a different message than it used to. The
> above was in response to my reporting an example of such. My
> example that I used to report the issue was for freebsd-arm,
> not freebsd-bugs. I'm not sure if the "freebsd-bugs" in the
> quote was a typo or what.
>
> In my example the numbering had shifted by 2: 020854 -> 020856

So to avoid breaking the bookmark, the plan now is to keep a copy as-is of the
pipermail archives, (not the redirection). and have the new archives elsewhere.

The open question now is the new archives should they provide the ancient mail
as well? for now it has been decided yes, to not break threads, but restarting
from scratch would also be a very good option

Bapt