Re: The pagedaemon evicts ARC before scanning the inactive page list

From: Alan Somers <asomers_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 23:55:36 UTC
On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 4:10 PM Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 04:00:14PM -0600, Alan Somers wrote:

> > > most

> with the
> reclaimed
> > > reboot.

> pagedaemon
> If
> > > the
> free
> relevant
> > >
> > > That was the case even before r334508.  Note that prior to that
> revision
> > > vm_pageout_scan_inactive() would trigger vm_lowmem if pass > 0, before
> > > scanning the inactive queue.  During a memory shortage we have pass >
> 0.
> > > pass == 0 only when the page daemon is scanning the active queue.

> > > that
> > >
> > > vm_lowmem is too primitive: it doesn't tell subscribing subsystems
> > > anything about the magnitude of the shortage.  At the same time, the VM
> > > doesn't know much about how much memory they are consuming.  A better
> > > strategy, at least for the ARC, would be reclaim memory based on the
> > > relative memory consumption of each subsystem.  In your case, when the
> > > page daemon goes to reclaim memory, it should use the inactive queue to
> > > make up ~85% of the shortfall and reclaim the rest from the ARC.  Even
> > > better would be if the ARC could use the page cache as a second-level
> > > cache, like the buffer cache does.
> > >
> > > Today I believe the ARC treats vm_lowmem as a signal to shed some
> > > arbitrary fraction of evictable data.  If the ARC is able to quickly
> > > answer the question, "how much memory can I release if asked?", then
> > > the page daemon could use that to determine how much of its reclamation
> > > target should come from the ARC vs. the page cache.
> > >

> > I guess I don't understand why you would ever free from the ARC rather
> than
> > from the inactive list.  When is inactive memory ever useful?
>
> Pages in the inactive queue are either unmapped or haven't had their
> mappings referenced recently.  But they may still be frequently accessed
> by file I/O operations like sendfile(2).  That's not to say that
> reclaiming from other subsystems first is always the right strategy, but
> note also that the page daemon may scan the inactive queue many times in
> between vm_lowmem calls.

So By default ZFS tries to free (arc_target / 128) bytes of memory in
arc_lowmem.  That's huge!  On this server, pidctrl_daemon typically
requests 0-10MB, and arc_lowmem tries to free 600 MB.  It looks like it
would be easy to modify vm_lowmem to include the total amount of memory
that it wants freed.  I could make such a patch.  My next question is:
what's the fastest way to generate a lot of inactive memory?  My first
attempt was "find . | xargs md5", but that isn't terribly effective.  The
production machines are doing a lot of "zfs recv" and running some busy Go
programs, among other things, but I can't easily replicate that workload on
a development system.
-Alan