Re: usb 4-port hub support?

From: Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 08:16:05 UTC
On 11/06/2021 21:31, Steve Kargl wrote:
> Tried sending this to freebsd-usb, but it was denied
> as I'm not subscribed to that list.  Other lists hold
> non-subscriber messages for moderation.
>
> I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop with a USB 3 type-c connector on the
> right and a thunderbolt 3 type-c connector on the left.  The wireless
> chip in the laptop is currently not supported (Qualcomm Atheros 6174).
> There is an out-of-tree ath10k device for this chip, but I've never
> been able to get it work.  So, I have a tp-link archer t2u nano usb
> dongle that I plug into the port, which of course uses up my available
> usb ports.  With the dongle attached, I see
>
> % usbconfig list
> ugen0.1: <0x8086 XHCI root HUB> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
> ugen0.2: <CN0FFMHCLOG00873B2A9A01 IntegratedWebcamHD> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (500mA)
> ugen0.3: <HTMicroelectronics Goodix Fingerprint Device> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)
> ugen0.4: <Realtek 802.11ac WLAN Adapter> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (500mA)
>
> and wlan0 and wpa_supplicant work with the tp-link device.
>
> I've acquired an Aluratek 4-port USB 3.1 type-c hub. If I remove the dongle
> and insert the hub, I see (where I've omitted ugen0.1, 0.2, and 0.3)
>
> % usbconfig list
> ugen0.4: <GenesysLogic USB2.1 Hub> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (100mA)
> ugen0.5: <GenesysLogic USB3.1 Hub> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
>
> If I now plugin in a SanDisk thumbdrive I see
>
> % usbconfig list
> ugen0.6: <USB SanDisk 3.2Gen1> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=ON (224mA)
>
> % ls /dev/da0*
> /dev/da0        /dev/da0p1      /dev/da0p2
> % mount /dev/da0p2 /mnt
> % ls /mnt
> .snap/          boot/           lib/            mnt/            rescue/         tmp/
> .sujournal      dev/            libexec/        net/            root/           usr/
> bin/            etc/            media/          proc/           sbin/           var/
>
> Adding a second thumbdrive shows
>
> % usbconfig list
> ugen0.7: <Kingston DataTraveler 3.0> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=ON (74mA)
>
> I see the da1 devices and can mount the filesystem.
>
> Now, for the issue, if I insert the tp-link dongle into the hub
> it is not detected.  usbconfig shows no information of any kind.
> I've read the if_rtwn_usb(4) and usb(4) manuals, but have no clue
> where to start to get the tp-link dongle recognized.  Any suggestions?
>
> PS: inserting a logitech usb mouse receiver is also undetected.

Try this, be prepared for problems with storage devices:

1. detach everything from the hub

2. attach the Archer T2U Nano (AC600 USB Wi-Fi adapter) to a side port
of the hub

3. restart the computer

4. if the Wi-Fi adapter is usable, then connect the Logitech USB
receiver to the end port

5. if the Wi-Fi adapter and Logitech receiver are usable, then connect
the Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 to a side port

6. if those three devices are usable, then connect the USB SanDisk
3.2Gen1 to a side port

7. if all four devices are usable, then consider stress-testing the
combined abilities of the hub plus storage devices.

With or without a stress test: proceed with caution; have verifiably
good backups.

StressDisk: <https://www.freshports.org/sysutils/stressdisk/>

I assume that these are amongst your devices:

<https://aluratek.com/usb-3-1-gen-1-superspeed-type-c-hub>
<https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/adapter/archer-t2u-nano/>

----

In my experience, the USB story is not great. Experiences include:

Cerulian 10 port USB 2.0 top loading hub (N14JB)
<https://web.archive.org/web/20130719232027/http://www.maplin.co.uk/cerulian-10-port-usb-2.0-top-loading-hub-513872>
– used in the past (often with ZEVO ZFS) with Mac OS X 10.8.5, also
probably with Mavericks.

HP 2012 120W Advanced Docking Station
<https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-2012-120w-advanced-docking-station/5259884/document/c03339765>
– four USB 3.0 ports, used with FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT and 14.0-CURRENT.

----

As an extreme example, with a 'giveaway' (promotional) USB drive that I
expected to behave poorly, I effectively killed the drive by attempting
to fill its file system:
<https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/80629/post-516867>