Re: Weak disk I/O performance on daX compared to adaX, was: Re: dd performance [was Re: Call for Foundation-supported Project Ideas]

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 03:31:55 UTC
On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 8:08 PM Stefan Blachmann <sblachmann@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am wondering what could be the cause for the weak disk I/O
> performance on FreeBSD when using daX drivers instead of adaX drivers.
>
> Explanation:
> The HP Z420 has 6 SATA ports.
> SATA drives that get connected to port #1 to #4 are being shown as daX
> drives on FreeBSD.
> Drives connected to ports 5 and 6 appear as adaX drives.
>
> > On 12/2/21, Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >> That is your problem then.  The default value for dd if 512B.  If it
> >> took 3 days to erase a 2 TB HDD, that means you were writing 15,000
> >> IOPs.  Frankly, I'm impressed that the SATA bus could handle that
>
> This shows that on the ada driver, the disk I/O performance is acceptable.
> However, after 14 days dd is still working on the same type drive on
> connector 4 (da3).
>
> So my questions:
> - Why does FreeBSD use the da driver instead of the ada driver for
> drives on SATA ports 1-4?

Because it isn't an ahci controller, but something else. dmesg will tell
you, or camcontrol devlist. It might be crappy hardware, poorly configured
or maybe you've discovered a driver bug that's easy to fix.

> - And, why is the da driver so slow? (For example, on HP Z800 when
> used with FreeBSD, 15k SAS drives seem as slow as normal consumer
> drives, while on Linux disk I/O is just snappy.)

It isn't. It's more likely the controller they are attached to that's slow.
At work
we get line rate out of daX and adaX all the time. They are just protocol
translators and hands it off to the host adapter (what's called the SIM).

> - Is there a way to configure FreeBSD to use the ada driver instead of
> the da driver, so using FreeBSD is still an alternative to Linux if
> disk speed matters?

Unlikely.

> - Or is it impossible to use the ada drivers on SATA connectors 1-4
> for maybe some HP Z420 hardware related reasons?

What does camcontrol devlist tell you? Chances are it's the SIM that's to
blame for the poor performance (we run all kinds of crazy I/O through ada
and da and if anything da is a smidge faster). The key question is why
things are so seemingly slow.

Warner