Re: configng

From: Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 22:39:37 UTC
On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 12:41 AM Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> FYI- we're forming a group to look at what the next generation of config(8)
> should look like, with the goal of addressing some long-standing issues
> with the existing kernel configuration system.
>
> If you're interested in participating in the ongoing design discussion,
> please shoot an e-mail to kevans@FreeBSD.org or imp@FreeBSD.org. The
> current high-level requirement outline can be found here:
> https://hackmd.io/w1Tf8mmVQVuZok7-LNEhgw
>
> The current expectation is that configng will use an entirely different
> configuration language, rather than extending what we currently have, and
> come with some tooling to aide migration. This will be discussed more
> in-depth in later stages; for now, we want to focus on what we want to get
> out of the next generation.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kyle Evans

My suggestion may be to use an "expert system" with its "rule" structure .
Over time , by adding rules only , you may improve its ability to make
decisions
for a proper configuration . In that way you will be able to use an expert
system
to manage your rule base .

You may study as a beginning point the CLIPS  among many other systems :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLIPS
CLIPS

You may design all of expert system as a single XML file or other included
XML file names as
elements of main XML file ( let's say ) entries .

You may need to cooperate with a person being "expert" on "expert systems" .

With my best wishes for all ,

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk