Re: What to use in place of abstract unix sockets?

From: Gleb Popov <arrowd_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 07:53:12 UTC
On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 10:50 AM Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net> wrote:

> 08.12.2021 13:43, Gleb Popov wrote:
>
> > Hello hackers.
> >
> > I'm porting a software that does the following things on Linux:
> >
> > 1. Binds an abstract UDS (the socket name starts with '\0')
> > 2. Launches a "client" process.
> > 3. "Client" uses chroot() to constrain itself in a sort of jail.
> > 4. "Client" connects to the abstract UDS.
> >
> >>From what I can tell, this works because abstract UDS's do not use the
> > filesystem namespace, which is why "client" can connect out of the
> > chroot'ed environment.
> >
> > What can I do to make this software work for FreeBSD? Simply using
> regular
> > UDS instead of abstract ones doesn't work for obvious reasons - the
> > "client" can't find the socket file.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> If they are parent/child, you could try using socketpair().

There are actually multiple children. If I understand it right, using
socketpair() would lead to N sockets on the server side for the N connected
clients. Right now there is a single UDS that handles all connections, so
rewriting it with socketpair() would be problematic, I think.

On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 3:08 AM Daniel O'Connor <darius@dons.net.au> wrote:

> > On 8 Dec 2021, at 17:13, Gleb Popov <arrowd@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > I'm porting a software that does the following things on Linux:
> >
> > 1. Binds an abstract UDS (the socket name starts with '\0')
> > 2. Launches a "client" process.
> > 3. "Client" uses chroot() to constrain itself in a sort of jail.
> > 4. "Client" connects to the abstract UDS.
> >
> > From what I can tell, this works because abstract UDS's do not use the
> > filesystem namespace, which is why "client" can connect out of the
> > chroot'ed environment.
> >
> > What can I do to make this software work for FreeBSD? Simply using
> regular
> > UDS instead of abstract ones doesn't work for obvious reasons - the
> > "client" can't find the socket file.
>
> If the parent knows where the child will chroot it could create a unix
> domain socket under that directory somewhere.

Same problem as above - there should be a single socket on the server side.