Re: RFC reviews for ggate and hastd

From: John-Mark Gurney <jmg_at_funkthat.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 21:21:37 UTC
Johannes Totz wrote this message on Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 02:00 +0100:
> On 09/09/2021 23:33, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > Johannes Totz via freebsd-geom wrote this message on Thu, Sep 02, 2021 at 21:55 +0100:
> >> (looks like gmane swallowed my 1st message, trying again)
> >>
> >> Hey folks,
> >>
> >> any ggate or hastd users here? I've got some code reviews for you.
> >> Please take a look if you get a chance:
> >>
> >> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D31727
> >> Fix potential out-of-bounds read in the geom-gate kernel module.
> >>
> >> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D31722
> >> Dynamically alloc buffers in ggatec, instead of assuming a fixed size on
> >> the stack.
> >>
> >> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D31709
> >> Simple rc script to start ggated.
> >
> > I'll try to look at them.
> >
> > I've broken out the ggate code to: https://www.funkthat.com/gitea/jmg/ggate
>
> Nice, thanks!
>
> I noticed the http branch. One weekend toy project idea I wanted to get
> around to was to write a ggated impl that talks to Backblaze.

I looked at the Backblaze B2 API, and I don't see a way to do partial
updates of a file.  All the API that I see require you to upload the entire
file, so I don't think that it'll work.

I abanded http as a solution, because of issues w/ WebDAV and partial
updates and the IETF not being very sane about it:
https://blog.sphere.chronosempire.org.uk/2012/11/21/webdav-and-the-http-patch-nightmare

Also, the fact that apache would randomly truncate a file didn't help
either...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579