Re: Firefox 89, WebRender, KDE Plasma and XRender

From: Greg V <greg_at_unrelenting.technology>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 19:16:30 UTC

On June 26, 2021 5:40:27 PM UTC, Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@gmail.com> wrote:
>Please
>
>Where about:support shows WebRender for compositing, is there any
>benefit to setting preferences such as the two below?
>
>gfx.webrender.all true

You can set it to force WebRender on, even if the hardware probing and/or qualification failed.

If it already shows WebRender, Firefox has successfully gathered hardware info and decided that the GPU is good. So you don't strictly *need* to force it. Just hope that the updates won't ever break the detection :)

>gfx.webrender.enabled true

This one should not be touched.

>In compositor preferences for KDE Plasma, my rendering backend is XRender.
>
>(If I choose OpenGL 2.0 or 3.1, panels lose transparency.)
>
>Does XRender in any way negate the benefits of WebRender?

Nah, what's happening in your X compositor has nothing to do with what's going on inside Firefox.