Re: FreeBSD 13.2-STABLE can not boot from damaged mirror AND pool stuck in "resilver" state even without new devices.

From: Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd_at_quip.cz>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2024 19:01:18 UTC
On 07/01/2024 19:34, Warner Losh wrote:

> < 4294967296 sectors should be good. So these drives shouldn't see this
> problem. the BIOS interfaces should have no trouble here.

[...]

> Yes. If the drives are > 2TB you lose. BIOS is not for you...  Unless
> you make special partitions that are in the first 2TB of the drive and
> only boot off of those. Also, if the drives are 4k, you likely lose,
> though it's hit or miss. Those are the hard limits of the BIOS ABI.

It is not always that simple math. As I wrote in my previous reply, my
pool was unbootable in one machine but boots fine in the other. Both
were Intel based amd64 with BIOS, not EFI. I think there are some buggy
BIOSes where it cannot boot even on smaller pools than 2TB. (or maybe
some improved BIOSes supporting larger boundaries than 2TB? I don't know
in what exact position bootloader / kernel was on my 4TB pool)

Kind regards
Miroslav Lachman