Re: ZFS txg rollback: expected timeframe?

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2023 23:54:10 UTC
Am 2023-11-04 22:34, schrieb Martin Matuska:

> Hi Alexander,
>
> I am already running block cloning with stable/14 on many production
> servers and also on my Ubuntu 23.10 notebook. The referenced issue
> appeared way before block cloning was even introduced so that is
> unrelated to me. Block cloning is not the same as deduplication. When
> copying a file with copy_file_range(2) between two datasets on the same
> pool, blocks of data are only referenced instead of doing a real copy.
> That is all magic that is being done. Did you check "zpool get
> bcloneused,bclonesaved poolname" before re-creating the pool? That
> would tell you if any blocks were cloned using block cloning at all.

I do not think the referenced issue is what I was seeing as such (as it
speaks about the dedup being in use). I don't have any dedup in this
pool. I'm aware that block cloning is not the same as dedup, but I think
I remember something about having parts of the same tech (different
files may reference the same blocks) being used for block cloning with
some parts more lightweight than dedup on top. The question here for me
is, if the panic message is something which is a valid case for block
cloning which can happen and shouldn't create a panic, or not.

No, I didn't check those values. But I have the locally modified
properties in a file, and the feature block_cloning was active, and not
only enabled. So there should have be some cloned blocks. Right now in
the re-created pool it is only enabled (as expected).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net Alexander@Leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF