Re: can another disk be added to a zfs stripe

From: Alan Somers <asomers_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 23:27:40 UTC
On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 4:11 PM void <void@f-m.fm> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 03:52:46PM -0700, Alan Somers wrote:
>
> >Yes, that should work.  But why would you want to?  If it's just a
> >matter of adding space to the guest, you'd be better off simply
> >enlarging the zvol.
>
> I wondered about that. But how would the guest handle it?
> Would I not have to tell the zfs guest that there's more space,
> or is it automatic?
> --

First, check the partition table in the guest.  If ZFS is the last
partition, then it isn't hard.  The steps are:
* Enlarge the zvol in the host
* Reboot the guest, if it doesn't automatically see the size change.
* Resize the partition in the guest, with a command like "gpart resize
-i 3 vtbd0".  You may also need to do "gpart recover vtbd0"
* Then ZFS should automatically resize, if the pool's autoexpand
property is set.  If not, do "zpool online -e zroot vtbd0p3".