Re: speeding up zfs send | recv (update)

From: Freddie Cash <fjwcash_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 21:02:04 UTC
On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 11:15 AM Chris Watson <bsdunix44@gmail.com> wrote:

> [Sorry miroslav, I hit send without checking the To: this was meant to be
> public]
>
> I’m a bit late, but I mentioned this to someone on this thread privately,
> I’m curious why ‘spiped’ hasn’t been mentioned in this thread. I’ve seen
> everything from VPN’s to nc. VPNs would be, imo, grossly
> unwarranted/massively overly complex/hard to secure just to simply have a
> secure pipe for doing ZFS send|recv.
>
> Simply configuring an spiped PtP pipe between A and B seems the simplest,
> most secure, performant option here. At least considering all the other
> options tossed out in this thread.
>
> No one’s using spiped? O.o
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Has anyone compared ssh to spiped regarding overhead and throughput in
> this scenario?

Interesting, never heard of spiped before this message.  Looks neat.

Not really useful for our specific use case (sending ZFS snapshots across
private LAN and WAN links without encryption).  But could be useful in
place of SSH connections when sending across public links, depending on
cipher suites used.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com