Re: periodic trim for ufs2 ssds

From: void <void_at_f-m.fm>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 13:49:49 UTC
On Fri, Dec 08, 2023 at 06:19:51PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:

>One can sometimes use:
>
># gstat -spod
>
>for monitoring alternatives and get an idea if on-the-fly
>trim is rate limiting activity compared to not having it
>enabled.

thanks.

Consumer-grade ssds seem to have sometimes a catastrophic mode
of failure where the ssd cannot even be read, by anything.
I hope that trim might, in the long run, help with delaying that.
 From what I've read so far, trim is considered non-harmful.

On systems with enterprise-grade ssds in a zpool, I have
(manual, zpool) trim running as a cron job a few minutes before other
automatic jobs with heavy I/O. The trim job takes about 3 minutes to run.
The SSDs are pci not m.2. Hopefully this extends their life to the maximum
possible extent (together with weekly zpool scrub)