Re: periodic trim for ufs2 ssds

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2023 14:13:07 UTC
On Fri, Dec 8, 2023, 4:03 AM Olivier Certner <olivier.freebsd@free.fr>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Did you consider trying 'fsck_ffs -B -E' on a toy system?  From a glance
> at the code, these flags are not exclusive and should do what you expect.

I wouldn't expect that to work...

If that works, then you also have the option of not turning on trim on the
> FS and instead periodically doing it at once, like you can do on ZFS.

I'd go the other way. I'd turn trim on for UFS and monitor the system under
load. Newer drives I've evaluated have much better pathological behavior
than the drives of a few years ago... there's a lot of left over fud about
how it's always terrible...

Warner

Regards.