Re: Need help with live system expansion (zfs+geli)

From: milky india <milkyindia_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 20:48:58 UTC
On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 12:44 AM Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 2:42 PM milky india <milkyindia@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 12:30 AM Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
> wrote:

> bottom-post vs top-post.

> specifically warned against using "geli resize" since it may not work as
> expected
> https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/how-to-extend-zfs-geli-encrypted-disk-space-not-showing.86447/post-581642
> provider size after gpart resize command."

> Simply "geli resize" ? (the -s option seems to be additional, will it
> figure it out without providing s?)

> email.
> I'm
> "geli
> from
> run "geli
> provider is
> might
> you make

> adaop2 and NOT for adap3 (which is the partition we are concerned about) -
> hence the advice given to not use "geli resize" isn't applicable here. Am I
> understanding this correctly?

> partition?

> in case you make a mistake.

> isn't

> reflect the size to be 458G? (vs 290G currently)
> is there more to it?

> already online.
> guess options s is must ? If yes - do I need to put in the exact size down
> to bytes from the output of geli list ? Under "Mediasize" ?

> nothing happens.
> "nothing happens" - I would imagine if I put in a size less than the
> current size then possibly the data after that get's lost? Or if I put in a
> size greater than the current size then there is a gap in the geli
> partition?
> wouldn't want to possibly risk it going kaput at this last step. That's the
> reason I'm trying to understand what is the best value of s for geli resize
> and how to obtain it.
> >>
> >> The purpose of the "-s" argument is to tell geli where to find the old
> >> label, if the provider isn't already attached.  If you supply the
> >> wrong argument, then geli won't be able to find the label, and thus
> >> won't be able to do anything.  It won't destroy any data, and it will
> >> always automatically determine the size of the current provider.  Of
> >> course, if you're worried about losing data, you should always save a
> >> copy of /var/backups/ada0p3.eli, as I suggested.
> >> -Alan
> >

> >  >The purpose of the "-s" argument is to tell geli where to find the old
> > > label, if the provider isn't already attached.  If you supply the
> > > wrong argument, then geli won't be able to find the label, and thus
> > > won't be able to do anything.
> >
> > I think you're confusing the -s argument with something else - the man
> page says it's for the old size - that's why I was trying to figure it out
> and still haven't been able to quite yet. Although I suspect the
> [...]

Thanks for acknowledging. I tried to do this using the s value from geli
list - it won't let me even do it as sudo :
Getting a bit scared now. Should I not be writing `.eli` part?
sudo geli resize -s 311481593856 /dev/ada0p3.eli
Password:
geli: Cannot open /dev/ada0p3.eli: Operation not permitted.
sudo geli resize -s 311481593856 ada0p3.eli
geli: Cannot open ada0p3.eli: Operation not permitted.