Re: zfs properties across versions

From: void <void_at_f-m.fm>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 14:39:14 UTC
On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 11:04:41PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
>void <void_at_f-m.fm> wrote on
>Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 19:56:45 UTC :
>
>> I'm worried if I zfs snapshot a vdev running zfs v5 (on 12.3R) to a
>> 13.1-p3 receiving system (so OpenZFS) that I'll not be able to restore
>> subsequently.
>>
>> Will restoring from 13.1-p3 to 12.3R be expected to work?
>
>If you list the pool features for the relevant pools,
>does the pool on 13.1-p3 have anything active that
>the 12.3R pool does not? How about at the time of the
>transfer back to 12.3R? Still true? Such are some of
>the more detailed questions involved.
>
>(The following is from main [so: 14] but is just to
>give an idea.)
>
># zpool get all | grep feature@ | sort -k4
>zoptb  feature@embedded_data          active                         local
>zoptb  feature@empty_bpobj            active                         local

Thanks for that Mark.

I think what I'll need to do is to make a 12.3-R instance and then
compare. When the source instance was installed, it was FreeBSD
12.0-RELEASE-p3 GENERIC.

If the comparison doesn't exactly match, I could install I guess
that 12.0 version instance, and then upgrade the OS to where it is now..
It's not important that it's not the most direct way of doing it, but it's
*very* important that the destination can be restored-from.