Re: Can't see USB disk device

From: Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 12:38:58 UTC
On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 10:58 AM Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <
m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 5:56 AM joe mcguckin <joe@via.net> wrote:
>
>> FreeeBSD 12.3-Release
>>
>> I’m trying to mount a 3.5” SATA drive mounted in an external enclosure
>> with a USB interface,  formatted with NTFS. When I plug in the USB disk, I
>> do not see the device. All I see from the log is:
>>
>>     ugen7.2: <CalDigit AVPro2 Hub> at usbus7
>>
>> I assume the CALDIGIT enclosure has a hub chip to accomodate all the
>> different interfaces (USBA, USBC, mini USB).
>>
>> Although FreeBSD won’t mount the disk automatically (I’ll be using the
>> NTFS fuse fs for that), I’d expect to see a log message where FreeBSD sees
>> the SATA/USB drive.

>> Shouldn't a hub be transparent and the mass storage USB device be
>> enumerated?
>>
>> I should mention that this works flawlessly on the Mac…
>>

> In Fedora Linux KDE , attaching and using a USB  NTFS  hard disk is only
> selecting it from the Dolphin file manager when it is attached and
> doing whatever you want with it .
>
> Only so much , no more anything ( except by selecting
> ( such disks to be mounted automatically when they are attached )
> from "Settings" related menus only one time  ) .
> I am not using anything other than KDE .
>

> With my best wishes ,
>

> Mehmet Erol Sanliturk

If you are using KDE in FreeBSD or you can use it ,
it will be possible to use mount the USB NTFS hard disks when
they are attached .
Perhaps there may be some adjustments to "Settings" related menu .
I have not used FreeBSD for a long time ( perhaps since 9.2 ) because in my
computers FreeBSD was not working at sufficient speed .
I  think other FreeBSD users will help you if you ask .

As a response to my one of the message , they explained to me how to
mount hard disk in user land without root privileges .
I am sorry that I have deleted all of my previous messages due to my error .
I am not sure what message it was .
If you ask , they will respond to you also .

The suggested  program for Linux was the following :

whereis udisks2
udisks2
/usr/libexec/udisks2
/usr/libexec/udisks2/udisks2
/usr/libexec/udisks2/udisksd
whereis udisks*
whereis udisk*
udisks
man udisks
udisks --dump
udisks --mount /dev/sde1 /pack

There should be another possibility to use  "devd" .

If you search the following phrases in Google one by one :

freebsd devd
freebsd devd usb

freebsd devfs
freebsd devfs usb

you may find sufficient links to study ...

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk