Re: bio re-ordering

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 07:58:19 UTC
On Wed, Feb 2, 2022, 12:49 AM Peter Jeremy <peterj@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Thanks all for the very prompt responses.
>
> On 2022-Jan-28 22:32:02 -0700, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
> >I think that ufs relies on two ordering primitives, both marked with
> >BIO_ORDERED today.
> >That's what most of the drivers key off of. We always set BIO_ORDERED on
> >all the BIO_FLUSH
> >events as far as I Can tell.
>
> Thanks for that warning.  I don't think geom_gate understands either
> B_BARRIER or BIO_ORDERED.  I shall have a closer look.

It needs to understand BIO_ORDERED.

>to it. b*barrierwrite() sets this, and that's used in the ffs_alloc code.
>
> In my case, I'm interested in ZFS, rather than UFS and it doesn't seem
> to set B_BARRIER or BIO_ORDERED or indirectly.

I went hunting ZFS for this year's ago and in the pre OpenZFS code they
were used, but there were three layers of indirection that obscured it. ZFS
doesn't use the buffer cache, so B_BARRIER isn't relevant. I'll see if I
can find it with the new code.

But if it never sets BIO_ORDERED, drivers are already reordering things.
That's all any other driver in the tree worries about...

Warner