Re: {* 05.00 *}Re: Desperate with 870 QVO and ZFS

From: Stefan Esser <se_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 21:59:50 UTC
Am 06.04.22 um 22:43 schrieb mike tancsa:

>> There seems to be a problem with your caps-lock key.
>>
>> Since it seems that you said that you are using maildir for your mail server,
>> it is likely very useful if you do enable even rather mild compression (e.g.
>> lz4) since this will reduce the write work-load and even short files will be
>> stored more efficiently.
>>
> FYI, a couple of our big zfs  mailspools sees a 1.24x and 1.23x compress ratio
> with lz4.  We use Maildir format as well.  They are not RELENG_13 so not sure
> how zstd would fair.

I have got much better compression at same or less load by use of zstd-2
compared to lz4.

Perhaps not typical, since this is a dovecot mdbox formatted mail pool
holding mostly plain text messages without large attachments:

$ df /var/mdbox
Filesystem        1K-blocks    Used      Avail Capacity  Mounted on
system/var/mdbox 7234048944 9170888 7224878056     0%    /var/mdbox

$ zfs get compression,compressratio,used,logicalused system/var/mdbox
NAME              PROPERTY       VALUE           SOURCE
system/var/mdbox  compression    zstd-2          inherited from system/var
system/var/mdbox  compressratio  2.29x           -
system/var/mdbox  used           8.76G           -
system/var/mdbox  logicalused    20.0G           -

Regards, STefan