Request for adding ACPI WDAT watchdog driver

From: UEMURA Tetsuya <t_uemura_at_macome.co.jp>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 09:45:26 UTC
Sorry for multiposting, as I can't guess where is the right list to post.

I've written a driver for ACPI WDAT (Watchdog Action Table) based
watchdog timer and I want this driver to be included in the future
FreeBSD versions. Please someone tell me how should I do.

Simply said, WDAT is an abstraction for the real WDT hardware. For
instance, to add a newer generation WDT to ichwd(4), one must know the
detailed hardware registers, etc.. Actually I tried to add Apollo Lake
Celeron and Coffee Lake Xeon support to ichwd(4) and I couldn't.

With WDAT, the necessary IO port accesses to operate the WDT are
comprehensively described in it and no hardware knowledge is required.
With this driver, I have successfully managed to use the WDT on
Advantech ARK-1124C, Dell R210 and Dell R240.
* R210 is also supported by ichwd(4). Others are not supported yet.

The unfortunate thing is that not all systems have WDAT defined.

Thanks in advance for your attention.

--
Tetsuya Uemura <t_uemura@macome.co.jp>