Inconsistent use of both flow of wording and terminology

From: Kolusion K <kolusion_at_post.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2024 01:36:33 UTC
Hi,

The FreeBSD Handbook inconsistently uses both the flow of wording and terminology when giving instructions. When I say the flow of wording, I mean syntax.

Section 20.12.2. Setting Quota Limits states "To verify that quotas are enabled, run:".

Section 20.13.1. Disk Encryption with gbde states "FreeBSD provides a kernel module for gbde which can be loaded with this command:".

Section 20.14.1. Configuring Encrypted Swap states "To overwrite the current swap partition with random garbage, execute the following command:".

'run', 'with this command', 'execute the following command'...

I think flow of wording should be used consistently because it helps users psychologically interpreting instructions more easily as they become more familiar and habitual with a consistent flow.

I think terminology should be used consistently because some users may think for example that running and executing are two different things.

And I think consistent use of both flow of wording and terminology makes the FreeBSD Handbook look more polished.

I think 'run' is a better term than 'execute' because 'run' is a term used a lot more by people, especially verbally. And 'run' sounds a lot less nerdy than 'execute'. :)

Sincerely,

Kolusion