Re: install: uexterror.3.gz: No such file or directory [still can happen unless I omit -j use]

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2026 18:51:01 UTC
On 9/27/26 11:12, Mark Millard wrote:
> On 8/24/26 05:45, Brooks Davis wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 22, 2026 at 10:35:21AM -0700, bob prohaska wrote:
>>> An armv7 P2 stopped installworld with 
>>> ....
>>> install   -o root -g wheel -m 444 uexterr_gettext.3.gz  /usr/share/man/man3/
>>> install   -o root -g wheel -m 444 uexterror.3.gz  /usr/share/man/man3/
>>> install: uexterror.3.gz: No such file or directory
>>> *** [realmaninstall-MAN] Error code 71
>>>
>>> The host is at:
>>>  
>>> FreeBSD www.zefox.org 16.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 16.0-CURRENT #56 n287675-95439b803fce-dirty: Mon Jul 27 07:53:39 PDT 2026     bob@www.zefox.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/arm.armv7/sys/GENERIC arm armv7 1600019 1600019
>>>
>>> and the sources were updated last night, 8/21/26. The -dirty flag is related to kernel patches
>>> and isn't obviously involved.
>>>
>>> A re-run of git pull reporated no updates that looked related. The machine is
>>> running buildworld again in hopes the problem goes away.
>>
>> I'm confused.  I added lib/libc/gen/uexterror.3 on the 20th in commit
>> 95e33099c74d, but botched the MAN= entry, naming it uexterr.3 in
>> lib/libc/gen/Makefile.inc due to having decided to rename it at the last
>> minute.  I then fixed the name later that day in commit 2ff0ca5272c8 so
>> I'm confused how you could have a tree with the file missing, but the
>> makefile updated.  If you're still seeing issues, what commit is your
>> tree at?
>>
>> -- Brooks
>>
>>
> 
> 
> I've gotten this problem repeatedly when I had -j in use for the
> installs (my normal scripting does that). The context happens to be
> aarch64. I've no clue if that is contributing in some way.
> 
> But as soon as I tried without the -j usage the installs instead ran to
> completion and worked for each target tree (but took longer than the -j
> usage would have).
> 
> I expect some sort of race condition but I've no specific evidence about
> what layer(s) of the tools or system are involved in the race(s). I make
> no claim that the problem is specific to uexterror.3* handling, although
> that is what showed up in my normal -j based examples.
> 
> UFS context.
> 
> 

I just tried the amd64 ZFS context with its normal -j usage for the
installworld and it worked. But that is weak evidence for the issue.

Bob P.'s context was armv7 instead of aarch64. I would guess UFS but do
not know.


For both aarch64 and amd64, the context is builds and installs of
personal dirty builds of alternate (non-pkgbase) kernels and chroot/jail
directory tree worlds. The boot world is an official pkgbase
distribution install. I can boot the pkgbase kernels instead of my
personal kernel builds but my personal updates normally are based on
somewhat more recent of a source tree than the pkgbase installation is
when I'm using the personal builds. So I normally run a personal-kernel
if I'm going to use a personal-world based chroot/poudriere-jail.

# ~/fbsd-based-on-what-commit.sh -C /usr/main-src/
aef4c3eb31d9 (HEAD -> main, freebsd/main, freebsd/HEAD) mana: Initialize
ports with the common RSS key
Author:     Kevin Bowling <kbowling@FreeBSD.org>
Commit:     Kevin Bowling <kbowling@FreeBSD.org>
CommitDate: 2026-09-18 23:01:09 +0000
branch: main
merge-base: aef4c3eb31d9c29c6aeb08023b1c9d2457d817e3
merge-base: CommitDate: 2026-09-18 23:01:09 +0000
n289448 (--first-parent --count for merge-base)

# uname -apKU
FreeBSD aarch64-main-pbase 16.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 16.0-CURRENT #12
main-n289448-aef4c3eb31d9-dirty: Sat Sep 19 12:58:23 PDT 2026
root@aarch64-main-pbase:/usr/obj/BUILDs/main-CA76-nodbg-clang/usr/main-src/arm64.aarch64/sys/GENERIC-NODBG-CA76
arm64 aarch64 1600026 1600026

# uname -apKU
FreeBSD 7950X3D-ZFS 16.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 16.0-CURRENT #18
main-n289448-aef4c3eb31d9-dirty: Sat Sep 19 08:03:12 PDT 2026
root@7950X3D-ZFS:/usr/obj/BUILDs/main-ZNV4-nodbg-clang/usr/main-src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC-NODBG
amd64 amd64 1600026 1600026

So it is not the kind of "just official" context that I prefer to report
problems based on. I do not know of any simple, guaranteed-reproduction
context.


The update started from my prior (late July) update.


-- 
===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com