Re: Fun with OFED and RDMA for NFS
- In reply to: Rick Macklem : "Fun with OFED and RDMA for NFS"
- Go to: [ bottom of page ] [ top of archives ] [ this month ]
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2026 14:26:06 UTC
On Sun, Sep 20, 2026 at 4:40 PM Rick Macklem <rick.macklem@gmail.com> wrote: > > Hi, > > I have been debugging client code for NFS over RDMA and it is > going pretty well. > > However, with repeated cycles of.. > # make -j8 buildkernel > where both the sources and obj are on the mount, I can get.. > > Sep 12 03:28:24 mercat1 kernel: mlx5_1: WARN: dump_cqe:273:(pid > 100228): dump error cqe > Sep 12 03:28:24 mercat1 kernel: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 > Sep 12 03:28:24 mercat1 syslogd: last message repeated 2 times > Sep 12 03:28:24 mercat1 kernel: 00000000 08007806 25000907 1b0405d3 > Sep 12 03:28:24 mercat1 kernel: rpcrdma_send_done: failed opcode=0 > status=6 (Status 6 is IB_WC_MW_BIND_ERR.) > Sep 12 03:28:24 mercat1 kernel: rpcrdma_send_done: pg=0x400003163 > sgeaddr=0x0 len=0 lkey=0x0 num_sge=0 send_flags=0x0 > > Obviously, it has been trashed, but it is not obvious why? > > I don't get it on every "make -j8 buildkernel" and never seem to get > it for "make -j8 buildworld". > > I have a KASSERT() just before the ib_post_send() that sanity > checks the WR and this KASSERT() is never triggered, so the WR > seems ok when ib_post_send() is called. > > So, I thought I'd try an "options KASAN" kernel, to see if it might > find something. What happened? > - Nothing. I've now run 10 cycles of "make -j8 buildkernel" and none > of the above. (Without KASAN, it happens within the first 5 cycles.) > So, I'm guessing that KASAN slows things down enough that it > never occurs. > > I can's see anything in my code that would walk over the WR and > the CQE that precedes it in the same structure is ok, since the done > event handler gets called. > > Any ideas w.r.t. tracking this down further? Turns out the answer is an upgrade to a post-Sep. 16 kernel. The KASAN kernel didn't fail because it had KASAN, it didn't fail because it was built with post-Sep. 16 main kernel sources. I am now running a kernel built from those sources without KASAN and it is not failing, either. I'd guess one of the commits done by kib@ on Sep. 16 fixed the problem (or at least made it much harder to reproduce). Thanks for offers of help everyone, rick > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions, rick > ps: The NICs are ConnectX4 and have firmware that is a few years old. > I've been paranoid w.r.t. asking Netperf admin for permission to update > their firmware, since I can test effectively now and if (not likely) newer > firmware broke them, I'd be stuck.