Re: loader_4th.efi "IPv4 PXE" net booting no longer works

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists_at_lists.zabbadoz.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2026 13:36:15 UTC
On Sat, 26 Sep 2026, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 26, 2026 at 6:17 AM Bjoern A. Zeeb <
> bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> sorry I cannot gather more parts of the console before this easily; this
>> is a remote machine booting via IPv4 (just in case you wonder with me).
>>
>> It's a EDK II firmware, boot options is IPv4 PXE.  Boot file is loader.efi,
>> which is loader_4th.efi in that setup.
>>
>> I updated to a kernel/world from the last 48 hours and the boot hangs:
..
>>
>> Do I need to start a bisect?
>>
>
> If you have multiple NICs, it may be that we assume unit 0 in the
> committed code. I got a report yesterday thta I saw just before
> I was heading to bed, so I worked up
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~imp/net-unit.patch
>
> to see if it fixed the problem for the reporter and sent it off. I then
> told claude to add a two-nic booting from the second nic scenario
> to boot-test.sh and went to bed. Now I wake up to this :) I'll see
> if that tests things, but in the mean time, it wouldn't hurt to try
> the above.

I'll give it a shot as soon as I can reboot again (may be a few hours still)
but the machine in question here has a single NIC only.

If it does not help I'll try to narrow things down and report back.

-- 
For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew
great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall
deceive the very elect. Behold, I have told you before. [Mat. 24:24-25]