Re: Kernel boots failed after Sept 12 (main-n289064-0d022baa047a)
- In reply to: Kevin Oberman : "Re: Kernel boots failed after Sept 12 (main-n289064-0d022baa047a)"
- Go to: [ bottom of page ] [ top of archives ] [ this month ]
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2026 16:36:40 UTC
> On Sep 20, 2026, at 9:31 AM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote: > > On Sun, Sep 20, 2026 at 9:08 AM Enji Cooper (yaneurabeya) <yaneurabeya@gmail.com <mailto:yaneurabeya@gmail.com>> wrote: >> >> > On Sep 19, 2026, at 11:50 PM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com <mailto:rkoberman@gmail.com>> wrote: >> > >> > >> > On Fri, Sep 18, 2026 at 7:07 PM Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org <mailto:adrian@freebsd.org>> wrote: >> > Did i915 module and kernel abi change? You may need to uninstall i915, rebuild / boot kernel, and rebuild i915 / drm-kmod from scratch. >> > >> > >> > -a >> > >> > Thanks! I never considered this simple potential possibility. >> > >> > I usually don't install rebuilt kmods until the kernel is installed, so I can easily boot the old one if there are problems. I failed to consider that, in some cases, the new kernel could blow-up as soon as the kmod loaded and before it was ever used. Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this with all of the work you do on 803.11 and other stuff. >> >> I recommend using `PORTS_MODULES` in src.conf to help avoid this scenario in the future ;). >> HTH, >> -Enji > > > Good suggestion and I did this for years, but earlier this year something broke it and it failed and was crashing the build, so I commented it out. I suspec it was fixed months ago, so I need to delete a # from my src.conf. > > I'll find out if I have a problem in a weeek or two when I next rebuild my system and report a bug if it fails. I stopped using the option because of package build times on my VMs, but I’m more than happy to help get it working again if it’s broken over time. Thanks! -Enji