Re: Kernel boots failed after Sept 12 (main-n289064-0d022baa047a)

From: Enji Cooper (yaneurabeya) <yaneurabeya_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2026 16:07:52 UTC
> On Sep 19, 2026, at 11:50 PM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> 
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2026 at 7:07 PM Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Did i915 module and kernel abi change? You may need to uninstall i915, rebuild / boot kernel, and rebuild i915 / drm-kmod from scratch.
> 
> 
> -a
> 
> Thanks! I never considered this simple potential possibility. 
> 
> I usually don't install rebuilt kmods until the kernel is installed, so I can easily boot the old one if there are problems. I failed to consider that, in some cases, the new kernel could blow-up as soon as the kmod loaded and before it was ever used. Thanks so much for taking the time to look at this with all of the work you do on 803.11 and other stuff.

I recommend using `PORTS_MODULES` in src.conf to help avoid this scenario in the future ;).
HTH,
-Enji