Re: "nvmecontrol: format request returned error" message for "nvmecontrol format -f 3 nvme1" on a still-new Optane DC P4800X 1.5T : D5982[78].diff work

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2026 17:05:51 UTC
On Sep 18, 2026, at 20:51, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote (off list)

> On Fri, Sep 18, 2026 at 9:43 PM Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > . . .
>
> Yea. I thought I'd pushed this, but I hadn't.
>
> The stack that ends at https://reviews.freebsd.org/D59835 has what I
> thought I'd pushed.
>
> Warner

So I built, installed, and booted a separate personal kernel based
in part on using the copies:

# ls -C1 /usr/main-src/D5982*.diff
/usr/main-src/D59827.diff
/usr/main-src/D59828.diff

(The 2 smaller numbered diffs in the stack.)

It looked like those 2 were all that are involved for the
formatting test so I limited my nvme additions to the 2.

The sequence was (format_timeout_period is new):

# sysctl -a | grep 'nvme.*timeout'
dev.nvme.5.format_timeout_period: 600
dev.nvme.5.timeout_period: 30
dev.nvme.5.admin_timeout_period: 60
. . .

# nvmecontrol devlist
 nvme0: INTEL SSDPE21K015TA
    nvme0ns1 (1430799MB)
. . .

# sysctl dev.nvme.0.format_timeout_period=1800
dev.nvme.0.format_timeout_period: 600 -> 1800

# time -l \
> nvmecontrol format -f 3 -m 0 nvme0
     1377.27 real         0.00 user         0.00 sys
         0  maximum resident set size
         0  average shared memory size
         0  average unshared data size
         0  average unshared stack size
       148  page reclaims
         0  page faults
         0  swaps
         0  block input operations
         0  block output operations
         0  messages sent
         0  messages received
         0  signals received
         4  voluntary context switches
         0  involuntary context switches


So, a little under 23 minutes. No console messages.


Thanks much.


-- 
===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com