Re: WITNESS not always working
- In reply to: Bjoern A. Zeeb: "WITNESS not always working"
- Go to: [ bottom of page ] [ top of archives ] [ this month ]
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2026 17:02:00 UTC
On Sun, Sep 13, 2026 at 10:55 AM Bjoern A. Zeeb < bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net> wrote: > Hi, > > I have a problem with lock assertions and apparently it's been ongoing > for a while. > > I am working on Linux derived drivers with lock assertions and we have > users hitting them. Yet I have not hit them in months of using the > drivers. > > This time it was even more curious: > > I've done a rebase and a full rebuilt of my work branch, booted the kernel, > loaded the driver (manually) and it went kaboom on a lock assertion right > away. > > I reset from ddb and bootes the same kernel and (manually) loaded the > driver again and nothing happened. I unloaded the driver which is a > current PR and nothing, so I checked again and; > > I use the GENERIC-MMCCAM kernel config which includes GENERIC which > includes > std.debug so this is alright: > # sysctl kern.features.witness kern.features.invariants > kern.features.witness: 1 > kern.features.invariants: 1 > > > Does anyone have any idea as to why witness may not do its job (sometimes)? > I've had to increase the witness buffer size a few times on complex hardware setups with a lot of kernel locks... I've also been burned by spinlocks. Warner