Re: Panic: lock "lnxspin" 0xfffff800176c0730 already initialized

From: Emmanuel Vadot <manu_at_bidouilliste.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2024 04:55:57 UTC
On Thu, 16 May 2024 10:27:40 -0700
Ryan Libby <rlibby@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 6:00?AM David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> wrote:
> >
> > This is running main-n270174-abb1a1340e3f (built in-place from
> > main-n270163-154ad8e0f88f), with ports at main-n663685-3f732745ab06;
> > the ports-resident kernel modules were rebuilt with the kernel,
> > courtesy (e.g.):
> >
> > g1-70(14.1-S)[4] grep '^PORT' /etc/src.conf
> > PORTS_MODULES+=graphics/drm-61-kmod
> >
> > And since I dislike "sample sizes of one," I have this result on
> > two different laptops, each of which has both Nvidia & Intel graphics
> > (but for the older one (M4800), I stopped using (& building) the
> > Nvidia driver, since enabling it appears to disable GLX).
> >
> > Anyway: photos of the backtraces are at
> > https://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/head/n270174/
> > as are copies of the build typescripts.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the panic message itself had (just) scrolled off the
> > top at the time I took the photos, but I hand-typed it (from the
> > M4800) in the Subject.
> >
> > Peace,
> > david
> > --
> > David H. Wolfskill                              david@catwhisker.org
> > Please do not mistake "authoritarian" for "conservative" -- or vice versa.
> >
> > See https://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.
>
> Maybe regression from ae38a1a1bfdf320089c254e4dbffdf4769d89110 by manu.
>
> It looks like spin_lock_init was changed to no longer zero out the
> mutex before calling mtx_init, but the MTX_NEW flag was not added.
>
> Ryan

Could be, I cannot reproduce this here (either with i915kms or amdgpu)
but I guess that depending on the hardware version or number of screens
etc ... code path is different and might trigger this.
 David can you test with
https://people.freebsd.org/~manu/0001-linuxkpi-Fix-spin_lock_init.patch
just to be sure that it fixes this issue ?

 Cheers,

--
Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> <manu@freebsd.org>