[UPDATE] FreeBSD 14.0-BETA3 Now Available

From: Glen Barber <gjb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 05:45:35 UTC

On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 10:50:08PM +0000, Glen Barber wrote:
> === Upgrading ===
>
> Due to a known delay, freebsd-update(8) binary update builds are not yet
> ready for BETA3.  A separate email will be sent once they are available.

Binary updates via freebsd-update(8) are now available for systems
already running 14.0-BETA.  Note, releases from 13.2 and earlier are
still problematic due to a file name being replaced with a directory of
the same name.  A patch is being tested currently, and we hope to have
this resolved for 14.0-BETA4.

=== Upgrading ===

The freebsd-update(8) utility supports binary upgrades of amd64, i386,
and aarch64 systems running earlier FreeBSD releases.  Systems running
earlier FreeBSD releases can upgrade as follows:

	# freebsd-update upgrade -r 14.0-BETA3

During this process, freebsd-update(8) may ask the user to help by
merging some configuration files or by confirming that the automatically
performed merging was done correctly.

	# freebsd-update install

The system must be rebooted with the newly installed kernel before
continuing.

	# shutdown -r now

After rebooting, freebsd-update needs to be run again to install the new
userland components:

	# freebsd-update install

It is recommended to rebuild and install all applications if possible,
especially if upgrading from an earlier FreeBSD release, for example,
FreeBSD 12.x.  Alternatively, the user can install misc/compat12x and
other compatibility libraries, afterwards the system must be rebooted
into the new userland:

	# shutdown -r now

Finally, after rebooting, freebsd-update needs to be run again to remove
stale files:

	# freebsd-update install

Regards,

Glen

Please consider donating to help support my FreeBSD work:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/gjbbsd
https://paypal.me/gjbbsd

Love FreeBSD?  Support this and future releases with a donation to
the FreeBSD Foundation!  https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/