Re: Acer C720 Chromebook Cypress Trackpad

From: Matthias Apitz <guru_at_unixarea.de>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 09:06:38 UTC
Please don't use what I said in my yesterday posting (attached below only
as reference). Loading the kmod chromebook_platform.ko makes the mouse
pointer jumping without any reason back and for to other places when
Xorg is running.

I observed and do use now:

- the cyapa EVDEV patches from December 2020, I've got from Vladimir
  at that time, are in head;

- I use in ~/.xinitrc:

  device="Cypress APA I2C Trackpad"
  xinput set-prop "$device" "libinput Tapping Enabled" 1
  xinput set-prop "$device" "libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled" 1
  xinput set-prop "$device" "libinput Middle Emulation Enabled"  0

  and in /etc/sysctl.conf

  # Cypress Trackpad:
  kern.evdev.rcpt_mask=3
  debug.cyapa_enable_tapclick=3
  debug.cyapa_tapclick_max_ticks=20

This gives the Trackpad working as described in cyapa(4), esp. with
this layout for taps (not clicks!):

   Trackpad layout
                        2/3               1/3
               +--------------------+------------+
               |                    |   Middle   |
               |                    |   Button   |
               |       Left         |            |
               |      Button        +------------+
               |                    |   Right    |
               |                    |   Button   |
               +--------------------+............|
               |     Thumb/Button Area           | 15%
               +---------------------------------+

In the past (December 2020) exactly this configuration gave another
layout:

               +------------------------------------+
               |                                    |
               |             main area              |
               |                                    |
               |                                    |
               |  button1   |  button2  |  button3  | ~10mm in high

which also was in sync with the freedesktop.org documentation:

https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/clickpad-softbuttons.html

Why this has changed? And is there any chance to get the old layout
back, as I'm used to it :-)

Thanks

	matthias

Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045