Re: 14.0-CURRENT boots fine but keyboard does not work

From: Michael Gmelin <grembo_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2023 16:55:52 UTC

On Mon, 4 Sep 2023 18:43:11 +0200
Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:

> I have a 14.0-CURRENT compiled from sources of head from August 4,
> which boots fine from a produced USB key, but the keyboard does not
> work on an Acer C720 (amd64), on other laptops the keyboard is fine.
>
> The keyboard works during the boot menu (for example to enable verbose
> boot messages) but not on the login: prompt of the booted system.
>
> I've enabled SSH access into the C720 (if someone need more
> information) and I'm attaching /var/log/messages of the booted system.

Hi Matthias,

The C720 required special patches for the keyboard to work, which I
originally added here:
https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/?id=6c176113bbdd598231ec47d161d4c3714997169b

I assume that something in that area changed recently.

Without digging into it, this looks like a possible cause:

  https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/sys/dev/atkbdc/atkbd.c?id=ce881170088c4c98c036fe561f8ee8413c2e2585

  atkbd: Disable periodic polling by default.
  It is one of the few remaining Giant-locked callouts.  It would be
  good to remove it, not mentioning that polling itself is not good.

  If this cause keyboard/mouse freezes on some hardware, please set
  loader tunable hw.atkbd.hz=1 as workaround and report the issue.

So you could try to set hw.atkbd.hz=1 (or hw.atkbd.hz=10) in
/boot/loader.conf, then reboot and see if it helps.

Best
Michael

--
Michael Gmelin